Many companies often overlook the fact that innovation not only needs to be implemented in the culture but by the culture. Successful virtual project management and leadership occur when task, people and change are in balance. All three domains are important and necessary for implementing innovation. In this course, you will be immersed in creative processes and engage with complexity viewed from multiple perspectives. You will be encouraged to step boldly into the role of innovative project manager and global change agent. Topics on “Task Management” will help give you the tools you need to master critical project administration skills. Topics on “Leading People” will assist you in creating high performance innovation teams. Topics on “Facilitating Change” will prepare you to use collaboration techniques in mastering effective virtual leadership.
Overall, this course prepares you to innovate and balance task, people and change in a global work environment, lead collaborative work teams with intelligence, and operate as a grounded visionary change agent.
By the end of the course you will be able to:
- Compare two different project management perspectives (rational vs. organic) as well as compare different project process models to identify how to apply this to a specific project context.
- Describe how different collaboration technologies can facilitate communication, planning and execution within your virtual project team and stakeholders.
- Apply different tools to transform vision into actions such as transformation mapping, project planning, scheduling, resource allocation, estimation and risk management.
- Describe challenges (constraints and opportunities) a project leader faces in a global setting, and specifically in relation to culture, stakeholder management, requirement management, and time zones.
- Describe team dynamics to deliver outstanding performance, assess how to be proactive in managing change with effective feedback, reduce resistance in projects and apply tools to resolve conflicts.
Your Instructor – Jesper Sonne
Jesper Sonne has a MSc in Business Administration and Computer Science, with an MBA semester in organisational and strategic management at Schulish Business School, Toronto. He is an experienced facilitator of highly interactive workshops both physical and virtual. He designs and facilitates strategic change by combining a unique collaborative workspace with a structured facilitated process known as MG Taylor. He has worked as a consultant for large global organisations in the intersection between IT and business for nearly 20 years and was an external Associate Professor at Copenhagen Business School for 10 years (2006-2017).
Module 0: Overview of the Course
Module 1: Introduction to Virtual Project Management & Leadership
- Introduction to Module 1: Virtual Project Management & Leadership
- Session #1 - Introduction to Virtual Project Management & Leadership
- Session #2 - Traditional vs. Organic & Session #3 - Types of projects
- Reflection Task #1
- Session #4 - Relationship Between Task, People and Change
- Session #5 - 5 Habits for Great Virtual Project Management & Leadership
- Reflection Task #2
- Group Discussion
- Quiz for Module 1
- Self-Mastery Task
Module 2: How to Manage and Apply IT in Your Project Collaboration
- Impact task #1 (Research Summary)
- Introduction to Module 2: How to Manage and Apply IT in Your Project Collaboration
- Session #1 - Why is Virtual Collaboration Necessary Today?
- Session #2 - What Challenges are There in Working in a Global and Diverse Context?
- Session #3 - Using Collaboration Technology (a Fourth Dimension View on the Organisation)
- Session #4 - The Facilitating Project Manager
- Quiz for module 2
Module 3: How to Approach a Project
- Session #4 - How Different “Type” Systems Can Support Teamwork?
- Quiz for module 3
- Extra: Article + About the Diversity Icebreaker (self-assessment)
- Reflection Task #3
- Introduction to Module 3: How to Approach a Project
- Session #1 - What Characterize the Variety of Leadership Styles?
- Session #2 - Who Are You With Respect to Your Project?
- Session #3 What Makes a High Performing Team
Module 4: How to Plan Projects using Process Models
- Quiz for module 4
- Introduction to Module 4: How to Plan Projects using Process Models
- Session #1 - What Are Project Process Models and Why Do We Care?
- Extra - What is Agile? What is Scrum - an introduction by CA Technologies
- Session #2 - How to Plan Your Project
- Reflection Task #4
- Session #3 - IT Projects vs. Non-IT Projects
- Session #4 - Do You Choose a Realistic Plan Without Ambitions?
Module 5: How to Transform Strategy Into Actions
- Introduction to Module 5: How to Transform Strategy Into Actions
- Session #1 - How to Map Your Transformation
- Session #2 - Breaking Down a Transformation Map
- Reflection Task #5
- Session #3 - How to Create a Project Initiation Document _ Project Charter _ Project Brief
- Session #4 - A Holistic view - Project vs. Program vs. Portfolio Management
- Quiz for module 5
- Impact task #2 (Project Brief)
Module 6: How to Manage and Mitigate Project Risks
- Reflection Task #7
- Quiz for module 6
- Introduction to Module 6. How to Manage and Mitigate Project Risks
- Session #1 - Overview of Risk Management
- Session #2 - Resource Constraints and Risks
- Reflection Task #6
- Session #3 - The Paradox Between Operational and Contextual Uncertainties
- Session #4 - How to Develop Contingency Plans
Module 7: How to Get the Best Out of Your Stakeholders
- Introduction to Module 7: How to Get the Best Out of Your Stakeholders
- Session #1 - Identifying Your Key and Primary Stakeholders
- Session #2 - How to Create an Overview of Your Different Stakeholder Types
- Reflection Task #8
- Session #3 - Why are Stakeholders’ Perspectives so Important?
- Session #4 - How to Engage with Your Stakeholders
- Quiz for module 7
- Reflection Task #9
Module 8: How to Facilitate Effective Meetings
Module 9: How to Estimate Your Project
- Session #1 - Different Estimation Techniques & Session #2 - How to Apply Estimation in Your Project
- Reflection Task #11
- Session #3 - A Recorded Live Session on How Applying Technology to Your Planning and Estimation Process
- Session #4 - Use Estimation as a Project Communication Tool
- Quiz for module 9
- Impact task #3 (virtual conference call)
- Introduction to Module 9: How to Estimate Your Project
Module 10: How to Manage Change, Resistance, and Conflict
- Session #2 - How to Identify and Counter at Least 13 Different Types of Resistance
- Reflection Task #12
- Session #3 - How to Reinforce the Objectives for Your Project
- Session #4 - Inspiration on How to Give and Receive Feedback
- Quiz for module 10
- Introduction to Module 10: How to Manage Change, Resistance, and Conflict
- Session #1 - Understand Change and Why It Is Inevitable in Every Project
Module 11: How to Evaluate Your Project
- Session #3 - Case Study #1 – Classic Evaluation of the Case
- Session #4 - Case Study #1 – Organic Evaluation of the Case
- Quiz for module 11
- Reflection Task #14
- Introduction to Module 11: How to Evaluate Your Project
- Session #1 - Different Approach to Evaluation & Session #2 - Develop a Project Evaluation Proce
- Reflection Task #13